Gautam Buddha International Airport sees 50% completion


20th Jul, 2018 | Tourism Mail Crew


KATHMANDU, July 20: The national pride project, Gautam Buddha International Airport, which was meant to complete a year ago, has finally seen 50% progress. The international airport was started in January 2015 through contract to a Chinese company with the intent of completing by 2017.

After getting a warning from the Asian Development Bank to cut off funding two months back, the construction works have finally picked up pace. Project Chief Engineer Om Sharma has informed that the project is now being carried forward with the aim of completion by June 2019.

"50% of the work has been completed by now," said Sharma, "Most of the difficult works of the project are on the verge of completion, so that by 2019 the airport will be fully upgraded." Sharma informed that talks are going on to launch the first international flight from the airport on September 27 of 2019, as the World Tourism Day.

Sharma said that 70% of the parking are construction has already been accomplished, and the remaining 30% will be completed within a month. Similarly, the runway work will be concluded within the next 15 days, after which the blacktopping will commence.

The construction of the administrative building, control tower, runway, international terminal building, have all reached the final stage. The project, which has been undertaken at a cost of Rs. 6 billion 220 million, has also been contributed by the Asian Development Bank to the tune of Rs. 540 million. The project has already spent Rs. 2.06 billion at this point.

The airport has been estimated to service from 15 - 25 thousand passengers every day after starting operation.