Reconstruction of historic nine-storey palace underway
15th Aug, 2017 | Tourism Mail Crew
KATHMANDU, August 15: The reconstruction work of the historic nine-storey palace at the Hanuman Dhoka Durbar Square has been launched after two years of the massive earthquake in 2015.
Deputy Prime Minister and Minister for Foreign Affairs Krishna Bahadur Mahara and the visiting Vice Premier of the State Council of the People’s Republic of China Wang Yang, jointly, inaugurated the reconstruction of the palace amid a function in the Capital.
Minister for Culture, Tourism and Civil Aviation Jitendra Narayan Dev said that reconstruction of the historic palace at Basantapur and seven-storey palace in Nuwakot were being undertaken by the Chinese government.
On the occasion, China’s Deputy Minister of Commerce and Deputy International Trade Representative expressed joy at the opportunity to reconstruct the historic heritages.
The Chinese government would complete the reconstruction of the nine-storey palace in five years at a cost of Rs 150 million, said Bhesh Narayan Dahal, Director General of Archaeology Department.
An agreement had been reached to undertake the reconstruction of the Aagan Chen at Hanumandhoka Durbar Square and the Degu Taleju temple at Patan Durbar Square with the support of the Japanese government.