Study Shows Nepali Hotels to Have Capacity to Host 2.5 Million Tourists


20th Dec, 2017 | Tourism Mail Crew


KATHMANDU, Dec 20: A study has shown that the hotels in Nepal have the capacity to host 2.5 million tourists per year. The survey showed that the hotels in Nepal aimed at external tourists have the potential to host 2 million and 531 thousand tourists. The survey, which was conducted by Nepal Rastra Bank, discovered that the starred Nepalese hotels for foreign tourists have a total number of 69 Thousand 3 Hundred and 35 rooms which can host 2.5 million tourists yearly.

There was a total number of 2,501 tourist hotels found in Nepal. The findings of the study have added upon previous estimates which put the capacity of tourist hotels in Nepal at 1.5 to 1.7 million tourists per year. The study, conducted jointly by the Nepal Tourism Board, the Tourism Department, and Nepal Rastra Bank, found the current total capacity of tourist hotels to be 2.5 million tourists per year. According to the study, in the economic year 2073-2074, only 6,188 rooms have been added. The study also states that most hotels and lodges outside Kathmandu are being supported chiefly by domestic tourists. It states that the last year has seen an increase of 9.97% in hotel investment.

Nepal Rastra Bank focused the study in Kathmandu, Biratnagar, Nepalgunj, Janakpur, Birgunj, Bhairahawa, Pokhara, and Dhangadhi, while also reaching out to the rest of the 75 districts. The Chief Secretary of Hotels Association Nepal (HAN), Binayak Shah, states that the survey conducted by the Nepal Rastra Bank is similar in results to the one conducted by the Hotel Association. “Hotels have seen sufficient investment, now the government needs to pour investment into airports and roads,” he said. According to Shah, 4 thousand additional rooms will be available by 2020. HAN estimates that 230 billion rupees have been invested in hotels, while 300 billion rupees is currently being invested.

In the 10 months of 2017, more than 750,000 tourists have visited Nepal. The number is estimated to reach 1 million by the end of the year, which is the biggest number of tourism intake the country has yet seen.  Although the inflow of tourists has increased, there might be difficulties on the horizon owing to the country having only Tribhuvan International Airport serving its international flights. However, the Secretary of the Ministry of Culture, Tourism, and Civil Aviation, Maheshwor Neupane, claims that Tribhuvan International Airport can easily handle 1.5 million tourists. “The airplanes are currently flying at a capacity of only 52%, once the remaining 48% is added, they will be able to handle 1.5 million tourists,” he said. According to data from Nepal Rastra Bank, Kathmandu alone has a total of 750 hotels with 27,371 rooms available. The survey included areas like Lalitpur, Bhaktapur, Sindhupalchowk, Dolkha, Kavre, and Dhulikhel. Similarly, Pokhara has 17,021 rooms among its 801 hotels. Similarly, Birgunj has 494 tourist hotels with 13,496 rooms, Nepalgunj has 169 hotels with 4274 rooms, and Biratnagar has 151 hotels with 2,759 rooms. Janakpur has 46 hotels with a total of 1,380 rooms, while Dhangadi has 38 hotels with 1,116 rooms. Bhairahawa has 1,930 room across 92 hotels.